Facebook Twitter

How To File a Claim for Damages

If you have been injured or your property has been damaged and, in your opinion, you believe the City of Prosser may have a responsibility to you, a Claim for Damages form is required to be completed in order for the City to determine its level of responsibility to the claimant.
A Claim for Damages form can be obtained by calling Toni Yost at (509) 786-8215, or in person at City Hall, 1002 Dudley Ave. This form must be completed, signed, and filed with the City of Prosser.
Submittal of a Claim for Damages does not guarantee payment by the City or its insurance carriers.  An investigation by a Claims Adjuster will be made into the incident to determine if the City has any liability as determined by applicable laws.
If it is determined that the City has a responsibility to you, the amount of the claim payment is based on the level of City liability, the level of your liability (if any), and the depreciated value (not replacement value) of the property damaged.
Claims Adjusters representing its insurance carrier usually conduct investigations into Claims for Damages – you may be contacted by either City or Cities Insurance Association (CIAW) depending on the type of claim.  These investigations will be conducted as expeditiously as possible.
If you have contacted the City in an emergency, the Public Works crew or other City employees may assist you as a public service.  This assistance does not constitute an admission of liability on the part of the City.
Please contact Toni Yost at (509) 786-8215 or (509) 786-2332 if you have specific questions regarding the claims process.
For the Standard Tort Claim form, please see the Forms & Publications page.